Confident Children (www.confidentchildren.co.uk) is committed to keeping your personal data safe and secure and handling it in accordance with our legal obligations.
confidentchildren.co.uk is created, edited and hosted using wix.com. Wix.com is a website builder and a hosting website.
What is personal data?
Personal data means any information or pieces of information that could identify you (for example, your name or email address).
What type of information is collected?
I collect information if you:
· Subscribe to my mailing list
· Contact me via the ‘contact’ page on
· Enter your email address to receive a free information sheet
· Book a session with me for example a Skype session or direct therapy for your child. In these instances, I will ask that you fill out the ‘contact details form’ with additional information about your child and their selective mutism.
I collect a range of personal information.
1. If you subscribe to my mailing list, I collect your name and email address.
2. If you request one of my services (for example, a skype session or direct therapy with your child) then I collect more detailed personal information:
Parents name, email address, phone number, skype name, home address, child’s name, child’s date of birth, child’s age, year at school, school name and address, number of siblings and ages, whether the child has a diagnosis of selective mutism, whether the child has any other diagnoses, whether the child is bilingual and information about their presentation of selective mutism, for example the extent of their communication at school, with extended family and friends.
Why I collect personal information
1. Newsletter subscribers and individual who send me a message via the ‘contact’ page.
· I collect your name and email address to send relevant information on selective mutism, awareness raising information and marketing emails.
· I do not sell or share my email list with other organisations or businesses.
· Subscribers can unsubscribe at anytime by clicking on the ‘unsubscribe’ button at the bottom of every subscriber email. Alternatively, you may email asking to be removed from the subscribers list.
2. Parents who access my services (for example a skype session or direct therapy)
· I collect detailed information about your child and their selective mutism in order to have an understanding of their selective mutism ahead of our session.
· I also take notes during the session in order to keep a record of our discussion and the areas that were covered. These include, the child’s current talking behaviour, the goals and the intervention plan.
· I write a confidential report providing a small steps plan for children who I work with directly. This plan outlines the steps that parents and the school can follow to support the child in making steps forward in talking. This confidential report is shared with the parents and relevant school staff, such as the school SENCO, the class teacher and the head teacher. This confidential report provides a clear guide for the school to follow.
· A service I offer is ‘email support’ with the school. As part of this service, a member of staff from the child’s school (usually the class teacher, teaching assistant or SENCO) will email me weekly with a summary of the child’s talking behaviour of that week. If I have consent from the staff member, then I share this email with the parent. The purpose of this email is to provide me with an update of the child’s talking behaviour, and allows me to provide ongoing guidance for the school in implementing the small steps plan in supporting the child with their selective mutism.
3. Wix ShoutOut
You can unsubscribe to emails at anytime by clicking the unsubscribe link at the bottom of a subscriber email.
How I process your information
If you become a website subscriber, your email address will be stored with wix.com and I will receive an email that you have become a subscriber. I will be able to export a list of subscribers from wix.com and this can be saved on my computer, which has ‘full computer protection’
If you contact me via the ‘contact’ page on confidentchildren.co.uk I will receive your message to my email address and will reply via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alternatively, a personal assistant may receive this message and will reply via (please see ‘Contractors’ section below).
If you would like to access one of my services (for example, a skype session or child therapy), I will ask that you complete an electronic copy of the ‘contact details form’ and then email it to me.
Once I receive your completed form, I will save it onto my computer, which has ‘full computer protection’ – I may also make physical notes based on your form and keep these in a non-electronic file.
Information that you send me about your child’s selective mutism, will be stored on my computer.
Within the contact details form, parents are asked to provide consent that I process and hold their child’s personal information.
Confident Children utilises the services of contractors, for example, practitioners who deliver therapy, as well as personal assistants who help with Confident Children’s administration. These contractors may have access to client personal information.
For example, if a practitioner is working with a specific child, then information about that child and their selective mutism is shared with the practitioner so that the practitioner is able to perform their duties.
In regards to personal assistants, if a client emails Confident Children requesting services, a personal assistant may deal with this enquiry and send the contact details form to the client requesting that it is filled in with personal information, including contact information and information about the child’s selective mutism. This information is needed to progress with the services. The personal assistant will pass this form to Lucy Nathanson electronically and will not save a copy of this personal data.
Who has access to your information
I do not sell or share my email list with other organisations or businesses.
I may share information regarding the child’s small steps plan to help them with selective mutism, between the child’s parents and the child’s school.
My website is created and hosted by wix.com
Wix.com collects personal data of visitors of the websites created using their platform. Therefore, Wix collects personal data from visitors of this website.
Examples of data that Wix collects is: visitors device, operating system, internet browser etc.
This website uses SSL encryption to enhance security and to protect confidential content, for example, the inquiries you send via this website. To show that a website has an encrypted connection, the address line bar will show https:// rather than http://. You will also see a lock on the address bar.
Safeguarding and child protection
I may disclose your personal information if required by law, or if I have a safeguarding child protection concern. As a child therapy practitioner, it is my responsibility to be aware of the signs of abuse and follow a safeguarding procedure if necessary. This would involve contacting the local education authority and passing on your personal information.
Storage: Information about child protection concerns will be kept in a separate child protection file for each child.
Timescales: records relating to child protection should be kept for 7 years after the last contact with the child and their family.
Destruction of data: After 7 years, confidential records will be destroyed or shredded in the presence of a member of the organisation or a firm specialising in the destruction of confidential material. At the same time any electronic versions of the record will be destroyed.
My website is created using wix.com.
Cookies are text files containing small amounts of information which are downloaded to your device when you visit a website. Cookies are then sent back to the originating website on each subsequent visit, or to another website that recognises that cookie. Cookies are useful because they allow a website to recognise a user’s device.
Cookies allow you to navigate between pages efficiently and improve your experience.
It is possible to delete cookies and disable them from being stored in your browser. This can be done in your browser’s settings or preferences.
When someone visits I use a third-party service, Google Analytics, to collect standard information about visitor behaviour patterns. We do this to find out information, such as the number of visitors to the different parts of the site.
Protecting your data
I use reasonable measures to protect your personal data against abuse and loss. I store data on a secure computer and have ‘full protection internet security’ which protects: computer, web and email, and full protection from hackers and privacy.
While I take precautions to protect your personal information, I cannot guarantee the absolute security of your data submitted through the website, or information that you email me.
By working with Confident Children you agree that I can contact you for the purpose of delivering my services.
Upon request, I will provide you with information as to what personal data I store about you. If your personal data is incorrect, please let me know and I will change it.
You may also request that I delete your personal data at any time. If you would like me to delete your personal data, please contact
You have a right to complain to the ICO if you think there is a problem with the way I am handling your data.
The GDPR includes the following rights for individuals:
the right to be informed, the right of access, the right to rectification, the right to erasure, the right to restrict processing, the right to data portability, the right to object, and the right not to be subject to automated decision-making including profiling.
Confident Children are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. I may earn a small commission for my link to any products from this website. This does not affect your purchase of these products; you still pay Amazon the same amount as if you were to purchase from them directly. Your purchase via my website helps support my work in the field of selective mutism.
How can you contact me?
Dated: May 2018
Updated: April 2019 with Contractors section